Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage (Nintendo64)

This is where you can discuss anything besides CD-i related topics. Introduce yourself, discuss films, music, travel and get to know what interests the community has beyond CD-i.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage (Nintendo64)

Post by Bas » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:06 pm

I admit: I haven't played a lot of games. Yet, a few has gone through the bones, and this ones has hooked me to the tv for over 80 hours the first time i played it. It is a game which is VERY underrated in the press, in fact i have never seen a positive review of this one.

Shameless i can tell you this game has given me the most of fun. It's an RPG in a totally traditional sense, with goblins, dragons, magic and all kind of stuff. It's HUGE. The graphics may be subpar, but if you can see through its shortcomings, this game is the best.

It's actually the only RPG the N64 has ever seen, besides Paper Mario, and the Zelda games for a bit.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:11 pm

I just missed out on a complete boxed N64 with controllers, rumble packs and also the two top games GoldenEye and Perfect Dark for only £15!!

Have to admit i'm not much of a N64 fan past the shooters and maybe Conkers Bad Fur Day but i'm surprised the system lacked RPGs. I guess the first game that really got me involved in the story would be Metal Gear Solid the original on PSX.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:14 pm

i guess size was the main problem, as the cartridges could store 512 Mbit at a max. That's about 64 Megabytes...

Aidyn's cartridge has a size of 256Mbit. It's really astonishing how they were able to create such a huge game on 32MB!

I love Conker on Xbox by the way. It's an improvement i can tell you!

I haven't played MGS ever....

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:26 pm

BUT

the reason i posted this is because i'm looking for similar games like this. I don't care which system it is on. I've played The Elder Scrolls which seems to come close, but i don't like the first person view, and i miss the turn-based action.

Other from that Morrowind is a great game, vast, huge, detailed, and atmospheric...

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:19 pm

I've never been a great fan of RPGs but you might be interested to know that OLDERGAMES are publishing a new SEGA GENESIS game called BEGGAR PRINCE courtesy of the SUPER FIGHTER TEAM. These guys have actually managed to produce a 32-BIT cartridge for a 16-BIT machine, the fact that a new Genesis game is coming out at all was considered a far fetched dream!!

Kao
Softech Recruit

Post by Kao » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:56 pm

The main problem with the N64 was the developmental hurdles one had to overcome to get a decent game out. Since the graphics of the system were the best of anything at the time, that meant you needed to put a lot more work (and money) into making the game really shine.

The PlayStation was so much easier to develop for. It wasn't as graphically capable, so there was no expectation to have incredible quality graphics. You could develop a really great and involving game on the system much faster and for significantly less money. You also didn't have the limitations of the Cartridge medium.

RPG's released on the N64 include:

Quest 64
Harvest Moon 64
Paper Mario
Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage
and some would argue the Zelda series.
It's like 1993 all over again!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:59 pm

Unfortunately Quest 64 (actually Aidyn's prequel) and Harvest Moon were only released in Japan/USA.

Kao
Softech Recruit

Post by Kao » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:11 pm

Quest 64 was released in Europe as "Holy Magic Century" on September 30, 1998

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:23 pm

this one... hmmm,

never seen it.

Kao
Softech Recruit

Post by Kao » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:18 am

Some would say it's not a very good RPG. I enjoyed it quite a bit, though.