great job! keep up the work.. also arent you worried about ?

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
l337h4l
Burn:Cycle Activated

great job! keep up the work.. also arent you worried about ?

Post by l337h4l » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:17 pm

Nice EMU Ive been waiting a while for one with the 136 images I have. do you plan on continuing revamping the emu to support better sound and more games or are you taking a break for a bit?

Also arent you worried about Philips coming after you? I mean the console is no longer supported but there have been occasions where Cease-and-Desist Orders have been smacked down on coders for other emus. I work for Philips but dont look at me being someone to ruin a good thing. Like I paid for my images..... :shock:

Kao
Softech Recruit

Post by Kao » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:01 pm

Emulators are entirely legal, even for pay!
Even backing up copies of games you own yourself is legal.

What is illegal is giving people your backups and downloading other people's backups (even if you own the original game!).
It's like 1993 all over again!

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:50 pm

Reverse engineering is (as far as I know) still completely legal here, and the emulator was written completely from scratch, there is no code not written by me in there (except for the C/C++ runtime libraries, of course, and these are redistributable).

Legal liability is also the main reason why I provide the tools to upload CD-i ROMs from your player but don't distribute ROM files nor CD-i disc files, as those are copyrighted and cannot legally be redistributed.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:32 pm

Also to add a line to CD-i Fans statement above, Philips will not follow legal action regarding any infringement on the Philips CD-i platform. This was from an official channel working within Philips on the legal side of the company dealing with these types of issues. However as we've said before Philips is not the problem it's other intellectual materials such as the Microware OS9 operating system which is the major concern and something CD-i Fan has alleviated by providing the tools to do this 100% legally.
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

Foleyjo

Post by Foleyjo » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:10 pm

Kao wrote:Emulators are entirely legal, even for pay!
Even backing up copies of games you own yourself is legal.
It is actually an infringement on the copyright laws to make backup copys of games you own. You may not reproduce a game as you do not have permission even if u own it. Only the owners of the copyright may reproduce it. Same with music

Kao
Softech Recruit

Post by Kao » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:50 pm

No, it's entirely legal to backup music, games, etc. that you own. The instant that you share these backups or download other people's backups you are breaking the law. That's how it works in the US, anyway...
It's like 1993 all over again!

christw

Post by christw » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:48 am

Making backups for yourself is legal in The Netherlands as well. Actually, it's even beter: You may make a copy for yourself if you have a CD in your house. Thus, it's legal to borrow a CD, make a copy, and return it to where you got it from...

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:05 am

"Thus, it's legal to borrow a CD, make a copy, and return it to where you got it from..."

haha... i don't know who told you this, but...

As far as those anti piracy incorporations concern, you're NOT allowed to backup copyrighted material even if you own the original. Reproducing is prohibited. Even in the Netherlands. A big misunderstanding!

unblestone

Post by unblestone » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:13 am

You are all a little right and a little wrong. The law isn't that simple that you could explain it in one sentence.

If you own something, you are allowed to make copies for private use, as long as the medium is not copy-protected. If it is copy-protected, then there's no legal way to make a copy.

It's also not allowed to give copies away, and it's not allowed to make a copy from a friend's CD for yourself, even if you have the legal right to use it. An easy example: If your Windows XP CD got scratched and stopped working, you would break the law by copying your friend's Windows XP CD. You must call Microsoft and order a replacement CD instead..

That's basically what the international copyright laws say, it differs from country to country slightly, of course.

christw

Post by christw » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:16 am

unblestone wrote:If it is copy-protected, then there's no way to make a legal copy.
Since Europe, and The Netherlands, does not (yet?) have a DMCA, AFAIK I am allowed to circumvent whatever 'copy protection scheme' has been thought up, and make a copy of the disc, at least if I own it.

unblestone

Post by unblestone » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:19 am

You aren't, at least in most european countries. I can't speak for The Netherlands, as I don't know their laws.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:39 pm

The big misunderstanding lies in between music and software. Contact Brein if you want.

"Mag ik voor iemand anders kopieën maken van cd's, MP3-bestanden of van andere muziek en films?

Nee. Beeld en geluid mag u uitsluitend voor uzelf 'thuiskopiëren'. Volgens de Auteurswet van 1912 mag iedereen, zonder voorafgaande toestemming van de auteur "voor eigen oefening, studie of gebruik" zelf een kopie maken van bv. een cd of een MP3-muziekfile. Daar betaalt u ook een kleine heffing voor wanneer u een blanco drager koopt. Meerdere kopieën maken, uitlenen, verhuren of verkopen is niet toegestaan zonder toestemming van de rechthebbenden. Deze uitzondering geldt niet voor computersoftware, waaronder ook computerspellen. Die mogen dus helemaal niet gekopiëerd worden. "

unblestone

Post by unblestone » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:44 pm

Yes, of course. And there's also a difference between software and games. Software (operating systems, applications, etc.) can not be copied legally. My statement was mainly about games, or "entertainment software", or however the law call it.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:09 pm

software=games as far as i know

unblestone

Post by unblestone » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:41 pm

Fortunately not. :) Games are treated by the law like music, not like software.