New member? Say Hi!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:33 pm

Cool, win that game then when you get the £10 package on The CD-i Store you'll have the package as if it were complete!
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

xxjustinukxx
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by xxjustinukxx » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:13 pm

i will (hopefully!)

i'll let you know how it goes!

:D
"Try not. Do or do not...There is no try" - Yoda

xxjustinukxx

Post by xxjustinukxx » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:33 pm

nooo!

I got outbid at the last minute!

:(
"Try not. Do or do not...There is no try" - Yoda

cdi4eva

Post by cdi4eva » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:49 pm

Newbie here:
I have a cdi 205 i had this as soon as the player came out and ordered a FMV as soon as i knew about it i still remember the day i brought the CD-i when i was 12 now 26 and still think it is the best system ever, really.
heard about Blackmoon project first then followed links to here its great, i do some slight trading in cdi equipment and games on ebay have a look.

Sharpius

Post by Sharpius » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:36 pm

Newbie here...

Not really, because i was here before but forgot my name and password..

I am from the netherlands, and i am collecting all kinds of videogame stuff, mostly games with special controllers.....but also classic consoles like the philips cd-i.

I bought one a few years ago with 100 plus software and have been adding some new games since then...

recently bought a diferent cd-i model with a lot of games i did not have like the zelda ones...

I am gonna buy some new games on ebay soon, and about one game, actually not a game, called spitting image, i have posted a new topic with some questions about this title...

greetings, Sharpius

william

Post by william » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:37 pm

Hi all
another newbie here
finally managed to find a cdi forum and its looking good :D
i've had my cdi 210 since launch all those years ago and since then have always been adding to it and now have a decent sized collection of titles and my fav title is 'surf city'

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:17 am

william wrote:Hi all
another newbie here
finally managed to find a cdi forum and its looking good :D
i've had my cdi 210 since launch all those years ago and since then have always been adding to it and now have a decent sized collection of titles and my fav title is 'surf city'
Nice fav! I also find Surf City to be one of the best base case titles! Especially the beach boys tunes are fitting greatly in the gameplay!

william

Post by william » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:23 pm

Nice fav! I also find Surf City to be one of the best base case titles! Especially the beach boys tunes are fitting greatly in the gameplay!
i can't believe that its classed as a childrens game,like i know the games are basic,but the music with the vids are great,i esp like ending the game and getting the music and video for the character grown up and showing you the outcome of his love interest.brill game :D

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:09 am

it's more some kind of 'musical' to me, with this title the concept of a 'game' gets a new perspective.... The games actually are small and simple, but the package around it, the city, the music, the whole theme, is very well executed.

These games are typical of Sidewalk, as it seems when playing more of their back catalogue. None of them are really constructive, rather based on sequences played on a certain hit, no realtime action.

Surf City is a bit more adult comparing with the same likes of Richard Scarry discs and (even younger) Sesamestreet titles. Moreover, it's an original theme and no licensed one!

HusseinFeva

New to the forum

Post by HusseinFeva » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:57 am

Hello everyone!! New here to this forum. I found this site through the Philips CD-i homepage. After seeing this site, I've been wanted to do some retro gaming and since I haven't finsihed Zelda:WOG and Laser Lords (I got to the last level though), I figured I bring out the CD-I_910 and do some gaming. Plus I was interested in seeing if there is still life for the CD-I as there are a lot of games I wish I could have checked out, and maybe still can.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:00 am

Welcome Hoessein :)

Do you also have a DVC built in? Zelda was a pretty big game, and some fun, but Laser Lords falls short on the gameplay a lot, don't you think? If only the framerate of your character would move a little faster, it would already be twice as fun. If you have the digital video cart, try to get one of the games supporting full motion video. I especially appreciate the shooters, like Mad Dog, Chaos Control and the only realtime FPS Atlantis. What kind of games do you like?

There's a little life in this cd-i community I can tell you, and believe me, the more you play, the more fun you have!

HusseinFeva

Post by HusseinFeva » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:11 am

Hey thanks Bas! :D

Awe Yeah!!! I do have the DVC installed. You are right that Laser Lords is pretty bad(ZEB). I love the full motion games. I do have Chaos Control and love the graphics. I also have Space Ace which I think is an awesome game. I haven't got a chance to play Mad Dog, Dragon's Lair 1 and 2 on the CDI yet, but based on Space Ace I know these games are awesome and I will add them to my collection soon. I like Cartoon animated games, FPS and RPGs. I have not played Atlantis so I'll put that down as a title to check out. It would have been great if adding the DVC enhanced some of my other games: Escape from Cyber City, Burn Cycle, or Voyeur. Have you played Lost Eden, is that a pretty good game on the CDi?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:26 am

Chaos Control was a great game for cd-i, with great graphics and a neat gameplay, it's a shame the game is a bit short, but fortunately they came with a sequel on CD-i in 1999, which is even better but unfortunately it's pretty rare to get your hands on. The cartoon games like Space Ace and Dragon`s Lair are (to me) very frustrating, but very rewarding if you get the hang of it. I prefer Brain Dead 13 which is a true follow-up released in 1996 which has a better handling and responses more accurately. Mad Dog is not a cartoon game but with real actors, this shoot-em-up is an excellent conversion from the Arcade but again its sequels surpass its quality easily, with the likes of Drug Wars and Last Bounty Hunter. It's a shame all these seuqle shave been released pretty late in the life of CD-i which has made them quite rare by now. With Atlantis being a realtime game instead of using in-game video sequences like the others, the graphics bar is a lot lower, so don't be fooled this is the best of them all. It's a matter of taste, as I find it quite astonishing they were able to create such a game on the CD-i. However, the best shoot-em-up I've played on CD-i is Creature Shock, which is pressed on 2 CD-i's and really full of lovely graphics and shooting monsters.

Escape from Cybercity is one of the most hardest games I've ever played, and to be honest I never finished it because of that!

Lost eden is relatively easy to complete but gorgeous on the graphics front and also the music soundtrack fits greatly to the whole atmosphere. Very well worth a few bucks if you get your hands on it.

I'd recommend you to take a look at the Games/Video Archive of The Black Moon Project where you can watch several movies of cd-i games to give you some sort of a taste what a game is like. And if you'd like to know what others have to say about a certain game visit the CD-i Collective for some great reviews.

johnmeel

new

Post by johnmeel » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:07 pm

Hi I am John and I'm from the Netherlands

I've had the Cdi 210 with videocartridge since late 1994 and was inmediately hooked to the likes of Apprentice, Burn Cycle and Little Divil.

Over the years i've got pretty much all games I want thanx to ebay and that strange mail-order thingy that followed up on the gold club. I also have the cdi-magazines starting late 1994 (you got family games I free with a subscription) and also bought the occasional uk magazine (very much the more interesting one)

I also obtained an 910 machine from some guy who was using them in conjunction with the Hextatic discs for Vj ing at off-corso in Rotterdam

Periferals:
Three Button Gamepad, Keyboard (I even had CD-Online), Trackball, Peacekeeper

Game Highlights:
Burn Cycle, Litil Divil, 7th Guest, The Apprentice, Inca, Kether, Dimo's Quest, Micro Machines, Drug Wars, Thunder in Paradise, Chaos Control, Solar Crusade, Tetsuo Gaiden, Arcade Classics

Do not like:
Dragon's Lair type thingies, games that do not play very well(Creature Shock, The Lost Ride, Lucky Luke, Escape from Cyber City, Rise of the Robots, Videospeedway)

Do like:
art/reference type titles just for background AV displaying (the mondrian thingy is best)

Hardest thing:
Convincing people slow, find the play-button type gaming is ok.

Softwarte List:
7th Guest, The
Achterhoek Magazine
Alles over CDi 1994
Antistatic
Apprentice, The
Arcade Classics
Burn:Cycle
Caesar's World of Boxing
Caricature, Create your own
Cartoon Carnival
CD-Online
CD-Online 10-96 (ram raid)
Chaos Control
Christmas Crisis
Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia
Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia - Revised
Creature Shock
Dimo's Quest
Director's Cut - Rosebud, The
Discovering Pompei
Dit was 1994
Dit was 1995
Domino
Downhome Blues, the
Drug wars - Crime Patrol II
eScape
Escape from Cybercity
Family Games I
Family Games II - Junk Food Jive
Forbidden City, The
French Impressionists, The
Harvest of the sun
Headcrash
Inca
International Tennis Open - 2 Player
Invasion from the planet Skyron
Kether
Last Bounty Hunter, The
Lingo
Litil Divil
Lost Ride, The
Mega Popclassics
Micro Machines
Micro Machines Demo
Mondrian
Mystic Midway - Rest in pieces
Nederlands Film Festival '95
Power Hitter
Rembrandt
Renaissance Gallery, The
Renaissance of Florence, The
Revolution in Color
Sargon Chess
Solar Crusade
Steel Machine
Striker Pro
Tetsuo Gaiden
Thunder In Paradise
Time-Life Photography
Treasures of the Smithsonian
TR-I: No world order
TV Interactief Eindhoven
Uptown Blues, the
Video Speedway
Voyeur

Still on my want list:
Crime Patrol, Clue(do)
CDi was a great idea, its just that the world took a different direction

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:41 pm

Welcome John, that's quite a collection you have. A few rarities among them like Achterhoek Magazine which I've never heard of before! What kind of title is this?
Now I don't agree with you about some games not playing very well: Creature Shock, The Lost Ride and Lucky Luke are great games in my opinion, I don't find these specifically slow or non-responsive. What makes them bad in your opinion? To compare, your highlighted game 'Micro Machines' is less playable to me comparing to these games. But hey, it's all a matter of taste. Being a collector we get them all, whether they are good or not! Hey, you missed out Accelerator? You're missing a great alternative to Micro Machines, and it's from the same people behind The Apprentice!