DVD interactive

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

DVD interactive

Post by Alan_Eng » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:52 pm

Hi!

I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on the ever increasing catalogue of DVD interactive (or DVD-i as I call it) games?

I have a small collection now, and although they'll never replace our cd-i, some of the games are good. My favourite is the Telly Addicts series. There's a Lara Croft game and Wallace & Gromit is fun.

I wonder if Philips have been tempted to create a dedicated DVD-i console and get back into the gaming circle?

Alan

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:19 pm

At one time Philips told developers a DVD-i format was in the making, but nothing ever came of it as far as I know.

Knowing Philips, it could well be that prototypes were made but got canceled...

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:05 pm

Philips specced the sequel of CD-i if rumours have to be believed!

They promised consumers DVD would be compatible with CD-i as well.

Those minigames available on DVD are not of any value to me. Although i like the ALG games! I have Space Ace and Mad Dog Mccree on DVD, playable on every DVD player. But, the conversion is rough, and i think the CD-i versions are better!

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:49 pm

HD DVD and Blu-ray offer a better interactive experience. Blu-ray uses Java. I'm not exactly sure what HD DVD uses.
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

gtdalby
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by gtdalby » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:00 am

cdoty wrote:HD DVD and Blu-ray offer a better interactive experience. Blu-ray uses Java. I'm not exactly sure what HD DVD uses.
HD DVD uses JavaScript and XML.

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:29 am

gtdalby wrote:HD DVD uses JavaScript and XML.
That sounds like it won't offer any better interactivity than the current DVD standard.

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:32 am

cdoty wrote:HD DVD and Blu-ray offer a better interactive experience. Blu-ray uses Java.
Blu-ray uses the GEM protocol.

GEM (Globally-Executed-MHP) is a derivation of MHP (and others), pan-european system of tv interactivity in work in some countries of Europe (for example, Spain).

MHP (Media Home Platform) is very similar to Mediahighway or OpenTV, are engines who works under html and java technologies.

PlayStation 3 at the moment NOT supports GEM. :roll:

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:50 am

Great Tandy VIS site. What's the difference between the MD 2500 and MD 5200? I have the Memorex MD 2500. It would be interesting to see if software could be developed for the system.

Sorry, for the off topic post.

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:00 am

cdifan wrote:At one time Philips told developers a DVD-i format was in the making, but nothing ever came of it as far as I know.
The Nuon was known as DVD-Interactive. I wonder if they're related?

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:56 pm

cdoty wrote:The Nuon was known as DVD-Interactive. I wonder if they're related?
It's not Related. The nuon technology is more extensive than dvd-i. Nuon requires a special chipset in the DVD Player.

I found this:
http://www.nuon-dome.com/
cdoty wrote:Great Tandy VIS site. What's the difference between the MD 2500 and MD 5200? I have the Memorex MD 2500. It would be interesting to see if software could be developed for the system.
Thanks! :)

I have too a MD2500 but I mispelled it to MD5200. I will solve it this night or tomorrow.