CD-i 220 shell

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
Tuca
Burn:Cycle Activated

CD-i 220 shell

Post by Tuca » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:59 am

Hi i have cd-i 220 whit the first shell. Can i put the second, put a newer bios.
Is possible?
Tanks for your help

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:22 am

No. Most CD-i players have no ROM-update mechanism as far as I know. However, newer CD-i titles have updated drivers run at the start of the disc, so the system can be updated at start, but that only lasts until you turn off the player. Any manual driver update would cause incompatibility issues as well.

So: No.

Welcome by the way ;)

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:47 pm

Technically it might be possible to replace the shell (it is supposedly just a built-in CD-i application) but it would be considerably more involved then just "replacing" the ROMs:

1. You would need to build a ROM image with the old drivers but a new shell (an exercise in OS-9 module extraction and concatenation).

2. The ROM image needs to be burned into actual ROMs (not very hard if you have the equipment, but how many people do?).

3. The ROMs need to be physically replaced on the CD-i mainboard. This probably means desoldering the old ones first, unless you use "piggyback" tricks (putting one on top of the other and disabling the old ones by cutting the "select" pins).

And there may be version dependencies in the shell program as well... If you really want to do this I would heartily recommend testing the ROM image with CD-i emulator first!